Monday, April 18

7 May 2011

Less than three weeks from today I will walk across a stage in Coleman Coliseum and officially become an alumni of The University of Alabama. Although I am returning for another year to complete my Master's that doesn't mean I am any less excited about finishing my undergraduate career. In fact, I am more excited about finishing this degree than my next. I won't even walk for the graduation ceremony for my MSME, but you can bet your ass I am walking May 7th in recognition of completing my BSME. For eight semesters I have spent late nights in Rodgers library, early mornings in 8 am classes, countless afternoons and evenings in the computer labs of Hardaway Hall, and more time than I can even calculate in class after class also in Hardaway. Four years of busting my butt to earn a degree that I respect so much from a university that I respect even more. My parents taught me early on the value of hard work and how far it could take me, especially when paired with an education. A hard working man educated in how to solve problems, now that is a man who does not stop short. That is a man that sets goals and step-by-step, piece-by-piece, reaches every single one of them. I have earned more than 130 credit hours learning things from computer programming, to physics, to math, to biology, to fluid mechanics, to dynamic forces, to finite element analysis and more nerdy things than I can list off here. Most important of all, I have learned to see a problem, face it, take what I need from it, and solve it. I have learned the balance of hard work and time off. I have learned the value of my closest friends. I have learned the value of laughing so hard that my sides hurt the next day. I have learned the value of finding the person you want to spend a lifetime and then some with. I have seen our Heavenly Father touch individuals walking across the Quad, I have seen him display his grace, mercy and strength in ways I had never imagined before. But the bottom line is that for four years here in Tuscaloosa, I have fought, clawed, prayed, crawled, walked, ran, and at times simply survived life on this planet as the man God made me to be. I am proud to introduce people to my father and mother because I am a combination of everything that makes them who they are (a little heavy on my dad). I am proud to tell people I am graduating from the University of Alabama for the same reason. When the name Benjamin Warren Austin is called on May 7th, I will hold my head high and praise the Father in Heaven who has given me more than I have ever deserved. I will shake hands with the Dean of Engineering knowing that I have given this university my best effort and will continue to do so. May 7th better look out...


because here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment